Welcome to our Motor Yachts Buyer Knowledge Center – See our Customized Searches for Used Motor Yachts Worldwide!
Motor Yachts come in a Variety of Designs
Motor yachts for sale are designed for volume, luxury and for living aboard in comfort. They are mostly equipped with diesel engines for the horsepower required to move heavier loads along with longer, more reliable engine life and fuel consumption.
Many different types of motor yachts for sale are available at any given time and are often classified as:
- Tri deck motor yachts
- Pilothouse motor yachts
- Raised pilothouse motor yachts
- Long range motor yachts
- Sedan motor yachts
Motor yachts come in many styles and are designed for different market needs including:
- for aesthetic appeal
- usage and volume
- the need-for-speed
- territorial concerns
- weather conditions
- sea conditions
- yacht charter ability
- owner and guest capability
Where You Cruise Makes a Difference
Where you cruise makes a big difference in the motor yacht style and amenities a buyer desires. For example:
Florida and Caribbean motor yacht owners value:
- Draft of less 6′ (2m) in order to be able to cruise many shallow areas in Florida and the Bahamas
- An open fly bridge and a covered aft deck for enjoying the outdoors
In northern cruising areas, such as the Pacific Northwest, motor yacht owners value:
- An enclosed aft deck and fly bridge for staying warm and out of the weather
- Smaller engines for extended range at slower speeds.
Long Range Cruisers (or LRC) are designed for longer range and are equipped with more fuel capacity, smaller engines for better fuel economy and are built to handle rough sea conditions.
A Wide Selection of Configurations are Available
Many North American cruisers are couples and thus value a yacht which 2 people can handle. Ideal features would include walk around decks for easier docking. Owner/operators working as a 2 person team can typically handle up and maintain up to around 70’ (21 m) size without crew.
Many motor yachts for sale offer cockpits or “euro-transoms” making it easy to enjoy water sports. Cockpits offer the ability to sport fish and offer safe access to the swim platform. Euro transoms (twin stairways to a large swim platform) are also a popular feature for accessing the water. A euro transom also provides a large aft deck area and often a larger salon area.
Wide-body designs (no walk-around side decks around the salon) maximize the interior salon space and offer a narrow walking ledge for use when docked or anchored.
Larger motor yachts which require crew (especially when offering the yacht for charter) should include good living space for a happy crew.
Motor Yacht Hull Designs Vary for Intended Usage
Hull designs should be considered as well.
- Fast motor yachts for sale are lighter in weight and offer planing hulls. These operate well going fast, but are considered ‘weekend’ boats.
- Semi-displacement motor yachts offer a compromise with speeds up to 20 or so knots, but can be operated comfortably at displacement speeds (around 10-12 knots) for saving fuel costs. This style is the most popular with motor yachts for sale in Florida
- Displacement motor yachts for sale are limited to speeds of only 10-12 knots and offer more range. With the cost of fuel on the rise, many yacht owners are taking more time for travel in order to conserve fuel costs.
- Fiberglass (FRP) is the most common material. It is impervious to corrosion and is often built as a ‘sandwich’ or cored with a lighter material for weight reduction, sound reduction and improved performance.
- Metal construction
- Aluminum offers the builder to be more flexible with custom styling. It is strong, yet light in weight and very durable. However, it is subject to corrosion and must be properly maintained.
- Steel is often used as a hull material for long range motor yachts and coupled with an aluminum superstructure. Steel hulls are very strong yet also must be diligently maintained.
Motor yachts are finished in several ways:
Gel coat is used with many fiberglass motor yachts for sale. Gelcoat is very durable and long lasting, but must be waxed often in hot climates to stay shiny.
Paint is used for all types of construction with different types including hard paints such as Awl grip or softer paints such as Imron. Softer paints are easier to maintain and often last longer.
Motor Yacht Manufacturers
Asian motor yachts for sale are very popular in the United States due to their beautiful wood interiors and a lower price point. Motor yachts for sale from the Far East are almost always made of fiberglass with a gel coat finish. Asian yacht builders include:
- Altima yachts, Cheoy Lee yachts, Grand Alaskan yachts, Grand Banks yachts , Jefferson yachts, Johnson yachts , Hampton yachts, Horizon yachts , Marlow yachts, Mckinna yacht, Novatec yacht, Ocean Alexander yachts, Offshore yachts, , Outer Reef yachts, Symbol yachts, President yachts, Paragon yachts
European Motor Yacht Builders, medium sized “Euro-style” yachts typically offer style, modern interiors and speed are produced primarily in England and Italy, with a growing league of builders in Turkey. European yacht manufacturers include:
- Aicon yachts, Anacasta yachts, Antago yachts, Azimut yachts, Canados yachts, Canitere yachts, Falcon yachts, Ferretti yachts, Maiora yachts, Princess yachts (imported to the US as Viking sport cruiser yachts), Rodriguez yachts, San Lorenzo yachts, Sealine yachts, Sunseeker yachts, Uniesse yachts
European Mega yachts, often classed as tri deck yachts, are also built in Europe. These manufacturers are renowned for some of the finest quality large yachts for sale in the world.
- Amels yachts, Benetti yachts, Blohm & Voss yachts, CBI Navi yachts, CRN yachts, Codecasa yachts, Feadship yachts, Haakvort yachts, Heesen yachts, Lurssen yachts, Nobiskrug yachts, Oceanco yachts
North American Motor Yacht Builders
Medium sized motor yacht builders in the US include:
- Cruisers yachts, Carver yacht (also builds Marquis yacht) , Hatteras yachts, Lazzara yachts, Meridian yachts, Neptunus yachts. Pacific Mariner yachts, Rayburn yachts, Sea Ray yachts (Searay yachts)
Mega Yacht motor yachts for sale are also built in North America by popular builders including:
- Burger yachts, Christensen yachts. Delta yachts, Trinity yachts, Westport yachts